Thursday, March 1, 2012

Notes from the wreckage...


On A Personal Note...



Many of you probably heard we had a pretty significant house fire at the end of January. It's hard to conceive of how much something like that can change your life! If I used to take for granted that I had a nice home to live in, that my kids could walk to school and to visit with their friends, and that as long as I worked hard and kept things up very little would change, I am now thoroughly disabused of that notion.

We've been living in a residence hotel for about four weeks now, and have taken a lease on an apartment (small, but it will suit our needs) for about six months while they make repairs to our house. Between asbestos abatement, having to rebuild the garage entirely and de-smokifying the house itself, it's a huge project, as smoke apparently moves through the attic and walls and pours out like water from behind things like outlets, medicine cabinets, light and faucet fixtures, and it saturates everything with this toxic miasma that has to be got rid of before we can move back.

There is a staggering amount of work to be done. Thank heavens I'm not the one to be doing it! Thanks to everyone who expressed their best wishes, and all the kind notes I've received about this. My family is pretty adaptable so far, the kids treat these things like adventures and not crises, but I imagine our enforced captivity into a space half the size of our house might prove to be complicated over the long haul. Wish Us LUCK!

P.S. I'm registered for GayRomLit in Albuquerque! I hope to see you there!

On A writerly Note:

Lots of you noticed that two books are missing from my backlist, Family Unit, and The Long Way Home. The rights to those two books reverted back to me, so I'm re-editing (I have honed my skills since I wrote those, I hope, and I'll be giving them a critical once over) and commissioning new covers for them, and then I'll be re-releasing them sometime this spring. Stay tuned for those! To find blurbs, excerpts, and buy links to all my available books CLICK ON THE BOOK COVERS OR THE TITLES ON MY BOOKS PAGE.

In the meantime I'm working on three different projects (One of which I'm co-writing with the knockout talent of none other than Heidi Cullinan, so that should be something!)


A Picture Perfect Holiday, released by MLR Press in November, and Secret Light from publisher Loose Id in December, are my latest releases. Secret Light is the #3 Top Ebook at Fictionwise today, 3/1/2012, and they've both been getting some great reviews, including a Night Owl Reviews Top Pick, so thanks to everyone who helped in making this book a success.

Among other things, Night Owl said:


"Secret Light is, for me, about trying to fit in at a time when certain differences can not only be unhealthy, but deadly. It is also a story of finding your way to happiness, love and friendship.

A truly wonderful read."


I'm also expanding The Artist's Model and giving it a virtual facelift. It will be re-released by MLR press, who is also releasing a single print book containing my two novellas, Stirring Up Trouble and All Stirred Up. Look for something a little bit extra (and fun) there.

As always, thanks to you, my readers and friends. Your letters and comments keep me on my toes and working hard. Thanks for your support!



2 comments:

  1. I was sorry to hear about the fire but glad to hear you are all okay. Hope your husband's burns have healed, too. I do wish you luck while all the repairs are being made and here's hoping you will be back in your home soon. Take care!

    Looking forward to your new projects, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy that you and yours are alright!

    ReplyDelete