Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Single Spark...

Welcome Zammers. Today, I'm thinking about Secret Light!



The victim’s dog was exactly the kind of pet Ben Morgan had wanted as a kid -- smart, funny, eager to please, and equally determined to protect. He’d envisioned a collie like Lassie or a German shepherd like Rin Tin Tin, but Colman’s stout little mutt dog -- some kind of terrier -- guarded his back, barking a warning if anyone got too close. 

Colman had introduced Ben and Mooki, and of course, at first Ben thought it was odd that a dog should “speak” only German. While Colman struggled to get the paint off his door, Ben tried to get the dog to walk with him. Colman -- he told Ben to call him Rafe, but he couldn’t quite bring himself to do it -- did everything he could to get her to go with him. She didn’t necessarily trust him yet, and he didn’t speak German, but he took her leash, and after a few minutes, she marched alongside him, ready to take on all comers, just as she’d done for her master. 

Christ, what a mess. Colman’s tools, a bicycle, sports equipment, and a tiny sailboat. All ashes. The firefighters had the blaze out, but they’d drawn a small crowd of curious neighbors who stood on the curb across the street and watched. They didn’t seem friendly with Rafe, and they didn’t offer him any assistance. They stood silent, watchful, some in hastily donned trousers and work shirts and some still in sleepwear, wrapped in dressing gowns and bathrobes. Some were even barefoot, shuffling for a better angle, a better view of the drama as it unfolded. 

Ben felt bad for Colman. It was obvious his accent, fair hair, and blue eyes had triggered someone’s anti-German sentiment, and they’d taken the opportunity for payback. He seemed like an ordinary guy too: a little pent up, a little too fastidious and polite. 

But maybe he was a little lonely too, and Ben could certainly understand that.

One of the firefighters on scene cracked wise about him living alone, but Ben had known more than one person who didn’t fit in so well, starting with himself. He lived with his mother, for God’s sake. It was hard to believe a guy like Rafe wasn’t batting a thousand with girls. He could have a family if he wanted one. He was probably too busy enjoying the chase to give it up for a wife and kids.

A guy with those looks who loves dogs? 

(Note from ZAM -- You'd better believe Ben wanted in on that...)


This is DAY TWO

of the GREAT HOLIDAY ZAMFEST!


All you have to do is comment to enter the daily drawing and I'll pull a new name from the hat each night. The TWELFTH day will be Christmas, that's when I'll put the name of anyone who leaves me a comment on all twelve blogs, into a drawing and one very lucky person will win the grand prize-- a $50 dollar Amazon Gift Card. If you're new to the ZAMfest, it's not too late to go back and comment on earlier blogs. Good Luck!

Yesterday, DAY ONE's winner is LE Franks! I'll be contacting you to see which ebook you'd like!

So come EVERY DAY and comment on all twelve blogs to be entered for the GRAND PRIZE!

Hanukkah started on the eighth this year, and of course I had to buy gelt for the kids to give their friends at school. We don't actually celebrate Hanukkah, I never did, even though my family has Jewish roots. But in some ways, I think we should all celebrate any holiday that focuses our attention on the miracles that surround us daily: love and kindness, the way ordinary people become heroes in extraordinary circumstances, the passion people have for causes, even those not their own, the way people defend the rights of others, and even the miracle of laughter, which BELIEVE ME, I have come to regard as a miracle in this tough year of my life.

If I can laugh even while my house in burning and feel better for it, laughter can be placed squarely in the miracle category. At the end of this month, this year will be over. For good or ill, what was is past, and we get to look forward to growth, happiness, more trials, and maybe, more chances to find our resiliency. I look forward to it all, and through it all, I look forward to writing new books for you!



Even though Nigel Gasp was in the book Gasp! I think this bit from his song "Light A Candle" is quite fitting here, as a single, tiny spark does banish darkness:


A single spark
banishes darkness
Every breath you take
fans the flames
A single spark
can ignite a conflagration
so we'll never feel the cold again.

Light a candle
help me find a way back home
Light a candle
I'm so tired of being alone
Just a single candle's light
is all I need from you tonight

It's only ever been you
who could see me through.

Light a candle...


( Music and Lyrics by Nigel Gasp.)




55 comments:

  1. Those are lovely lyrics, ZAM :)

    Erica
    eripike at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica! Nigel was another fun character to write! Thank you!

      ZAM

      Delete
  2. That Nigel...*sigh* beautiful lyrics...

    morris(dot)crissy(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds just glorious...

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Happy holidays and stick around.

      ZAM

      Delete
  4. Today seems like a good day to light a candle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heavens yes. 27 of them. And for those of us predisposed to prayer it might be a good day for that, too.

      ZAM

      Delete
  5. Secret Light is in my TBR pile just waiting for me right now. :)

    Beautiful lyrics from Nigel Gasp. I loved his story. :)

    lkbherring64(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Hope you like Secret Light. It's the perfect time of year for reading it!

      ZAM

      Delete
  6. I think something nice can be taken from any cultures holidays. Sometimes it is just nice to celebrate anything with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right, Nigel's song goes with the sentiment of Secret Light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Kaytee, I didn't plan it that way but, maybe Nigel did, he's a wily one! :D

      ZAM

      Delete
  8. I read both books and Secret Light held a powerful message about living through the worst life throws to your face, because there is always light at the end of the tunnel, and there are as many good people as bad people in the world. I loved it.

    0401romance(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so very much Joanna. I really caught hold of something when I was writing that book, partly because a lot of Rafe's character was based on my father. He was homesick for his native Vienna, and felt alien and a little persecuted here, right after the war especially. I think knowing my dad made it possible for me to imbue that story with a depth of emotion I might not normally have had.

      ZAM

      Delete
  9. I just discovered your books and haven't read this one yet. Looks interesting.

    Margec01

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, Welcome! :D It's always nice to make new friends!

      ZAM

      Delete
  10. Now I need to read Secret Light! Love Nigel’s song. :)
    goingtoreadnow(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Secret Light and a cup of cocoa, sounds perfect for a night like tonight. Stay tuned, you might win it! I haven't picked my winner for today yet!

      ZAM

      Delete
  11. I loved both books!!

    aelnova@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm always grateful to hear someone is out there enjoying the work (It gives me a certain credibility with the kids!)

      :D

      ZAM

      Delete
  12. I LOVED Gasp! Please include me in the contest. tmadamski(at)msn(dot)com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! I am so glad you loved Gasp! That was one of my happiest writing experiences. Sometimes you just find a character and you love them. One of my writer pals pointed out that it could use a sequel, because while we're sure they'll live happily ever after, where not sure what form that will take. I'm still thinking about that.

      ZAM

      Delete
  13. I adore these lyrics. :) Simply Beautiful!

    mannagreene(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Amanda! I've been toying with putting them to music, but when I was writing them my piano was getting repaired from the smoke damage. I keep threatening to make that the traditional ZAM family song!
      ZAM

      Delete
  14. Finding the good to celebrate is not always easy, that's one of the reasons I love all holidays, it gives us each a time to remember to stop and search out the good in our lives.
    tsarinaerika(at)yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Erika, yes. Whatever the faith, I can always find something to take away that will enrich my life.

      ZAM

      Delete
  15. I currently making way through Secret Light and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your idea of celebrating holidays that focus our attention on miracles. That will teach a little cultural awareness plus be a fun way to experience new things.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cherrie! I come from a multicultural household anyway, I guess, but I strive to understand and incorporate everything I can from others, particularly, different expressions of our traditions. I love Las Posadas, and making tamales with friends. I enjoy seeing the big Menorah in front of the North Orange County Chabad center all lit up. I want to participate in holi someday, Fortunately, where I live is about as multicultural as you can get!

      ZAM

      Delete
  17. I wish some-one would write music to your beautiful lyrics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I moved back into my house after the fire, I got my piano back. I have been planning to do it! (In my head, there's music. My son sings... we'll see what we can do about that!

      Thanks for the suggestion Zanara!

      ZAM

      Delete
  18. You just made my day! I just found two new books to read :). They both look great and I cant wait to get started. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much Laura! You have a great holiday too, and stay tuned!

      ZAM

      Delete
  19. Love the lyrics! love both books.

    iamcoldflesh at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Gasp, it took me a while to warm up to Nigelbut by the end I loved him. I never did warm up to his sister though LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. Well, I don't necessarily think she was that warm. Plus she was pregnant and lactating, so she had major league hormones on board. I suspect she's gruff but has a heart of gold. Maybe if she's more relaxed in the next book we'll see a different side of her.

      ZAM

      Delete
  21. How interesting. Secret Light which I loved and Nigel who I could not stand. I guess that makes this post well balanced for me LOL.

    Issa

    cojazzchick AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Issa! Well, no one has to like everything! I haven't figured out how to hypnotize people yet, but when I do... *you are getting sleepy, you will love every word I write* Nope. Not working yet, huh?

      You have a happy holiday! Stay tuned for more of the ZAMfest!

      ZAM

      Delete
  22. The song lyrics were so lovely, like poetry.

    strive4bst(At) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Zam,love both stories. awesome lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi luv-- I missed this on the day, but playing catchup and love the nibble of Secret Light. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great lyrics Nigel is one hell of a writer. I'm not musical, but I can't help but sing them in my mind. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much for the post! Really enjoying this!
    Juliana
    OceanAkers @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. *sigh* Loved GASP! Such beautiful lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love those lyrics. Thank you!
    books2read69(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wasn't sure I was going to like Secret Light at first since it was set in 1955, but I ended up loving it! And Gasp, Well Hot Rockers and Ex-soldiers together. YUM YUM! Recommend both as 5 star reads!

    ReplyDelete
  30. "Unknown" here. Trying again. I loved this story and candles are so appropriate right now.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved the lyrics and the excerpt is great! Happy Holidays ZA!

    ~Rush~
    taina1959@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have Gasp! but haven't read it yet.

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love those lyrics :-) I have that book, I really must push it up the top of the to be read pile! Hope 2013 brings you many of the ups to counteract some of those downs you went through this year.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sometimes you just gotta laugh so you don't cry. Excellent lyrics, loved GASP!

    ReplyDelete