Saturday, December 22, 2012

I Have got...

The nicest FRIENDS! My dear friend Lex Valentine from Winterheart Design surprised me with this, and I'm using it as my blog today, because I wish everyone could feel what I feel when I see this video.



It's the very best kind of surprise, one that just comes out of the blue! I like to use my time and talent to gift people too, I remember making a ton of cookies and pumpkin breads and painted sweatshirts over the years. I know those things we make are humble, but after the year I had, sometimes it's those very things, the hand made things, that matter most.

The fabric restoration company managed to save all my afghans and crocheted blankets. I used to think them very humble indeed, especially when I was young and decorating my house. They seemed unsophisticated to me, back in the day.

Now, as an adult with almost grown children of my own I am so very often filled with the desire for my mother's arms around me. She's gone, but I still have those blankets. I have a woolen one made by my great grandmother, a lovely ivory and rose granny square crochet blanket from my grandmother, and several more still from my own mother, and I wouldn't trade them for cashmere. We have all the baby blankets too, and I feel sure more generations will be wrapped in that maternal love in the future.

I think the needlework skipped my generation, but they'll have my stories, (some of which are clean enough to read), and they'll have other things from me. Bits and bobs, as they say. Perhaps when I finally replace my sewing machine I'll take up quilting, which was the plan all along, but I got sidetracked by writing. (There's so much less measuring with writing.)

I thought I'd share my favorite sappy Christmas song here. It's not just about Christmas the holiday, but the spirit of all holidays, which is family and friends and love--kind of hard to find sometimes beneath all the trappings.

Yet for me, sometimes, all it takes is a terrific surprise gift like my video, made with love, and there it is, right there!



For the record, the Grinch movie totally creeped me out. But I love the Whos and this song. 


This is DAY Ten
of the GREAT HOLIDAY ZAMFEST!
what's in it for you?



Welcome to the twelve days of ZAMfest All you have to do is comment to enter the daily drawing and I'll pull a new name from the hat each night to win an ebook from my backlist. The TWELFTH day will be Christmas, that's when I'll put the name of anyone who leaves me a comment on all twelve blogs, into a drawing and one very lucky person will win the grand prize-- a $50 dollar Amazon Gift Card. If you're new to the ZAMfest, it's not too late to go back and comment on earlier blogs. Good Luck!

DAY nine's winner is Lisa, I'll be contacting you to see which ebook you'd like!

Thanks for playing along! I've been wanting to say, I've missed a couple of days of replying to comments, wow, with christmas this close, I had to finally stop procrastinating and go out shopping. I've dragged home the feasting foods, and caught up with some of my last minute presents, but still, I'm not quite through yet! That doesn't mean I don't love and cherish each and every comment! Thanks so much for stopping by!





39 comments:

  1. I don't have all the quilts and handmade things my mom left me any longer. But I know the feeling of just wanting your mom again. The other night Rott and I went to see the neighborhood off Birch with all the lights. I told him about how my dad used to paint our big picture window with a Christmas scene every year. And then as I was looking out the car window, I just had the overwhelming need for my mom. When Rott said, "What's wrong?" all I could say was, "I want my mom."

    My mom was all about the handmade stuff. Food, crocheted stuff, and more. I can't pass the same legacy of cooking and crocheting to my kid the way my mom did with me but I can pass the spirit of it to her and she can manifest it based on her own talents.

    I'm so happy the restoration people saved your quilts and I'm so glad you like your Christmas video. (BTW, I love the Faith Hill song too. Used it in my own video a couple of years ago.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again Lex! I totally understand how you feel, I have a tough time going to church during the holidays, for some reason, that reminds me more of my mom than anything. (Yesterday I sat there and cried--my boy children always laugh when that happens.)

      ZAM


      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know! Thank you. Lex makes such nice videos!

      ZAM

      Delete
  3. Oh I loved that song in The Grinch. The little girl in that movie is just too cute ^.^

    That's a beautiful gift from Lex. She really is talented. She made my character cards and bookmarks and I couldn't be more pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved Cindy Lu Who. Lex's work is good, she made all my trading cards.

      ZAM

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing ZAM. I can appreciate the feelings on wanting ones mom's arms around us. Mine is coming to her last years and I know I'll be a mess when that time comes. Nice Video as well!

    ~Rush~
    taina1959@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rush, it's a fact of life that our parents grow old and their health fails, but it's difficult. The best defense is a good offense of enjoying every minute while you have it!

      ZAM

      Delete
  5. I quilt and have made my children and grandchildren a special quilt each. My first one was for my daughter' 21st birthday. She is now 42 and the quilt still has pride of place on her bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Zanara, how lovely. That must make you feel just GREAT!

      ZAM

      Delete
  6. Aw, thanks for sharing. :D
    ~~
    Judi
    arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother passed away a couple of years ago, and as I and my mum were sorting through her things, I would come across some little thing - like a child's talking doll - that brought back such wonderful memories of my childhood with her. I now have that doll that must be 50 years old hanging from my dresser. I smile every time I see it. When all the gifts are given, the food eaten and the wrapping paper cleared away, it's the memories that mean something :-)

    aniko.laczko@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Anika. I used to set up a video camera and just roll tape while we opened presents and played around. I know no one else could care less about that, they're unedited and LONG and sometimes we're not in the frame, but it's like re-living the day over again and it's wonderful.

      ZAM

      Delete
  8. Awww...I love the video. My mom and grandmother both quilt by hand, and I love the creations they put out. I have no patience for it, though I wish I did. They're so beautiful!

    morris(dot)crissy(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crissy, I wish I had learned to quilt. I don't have the room or the patience for it either, but I love quilts. I used to use them as wall hangings.

      ZAM

      Delete
  9. Thankfully, I still have my mom, but my grandma passed away right before Christmas three years ago. She was the best, most caring and giving person I have ever known. She did so much for our family and others. I miss her but I will always have the wonderful memories she left behind. :)

    So glad your afghans and blankets were saved. :)

    lkbherring64(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, It's really tough when a member of the family passes during the holidays. There's that natural hole in your life where they were, but it's also a reminder and it can make the holidays hard. Wishing you a lovely holiday this year.

      ZAM

      Delete
  10. That's so awesome that you were able to save your heirlooms! I have a quilt that my grandma made me when I was about 14 that I have slept under almost every night since. I have been able to pass this gift on to my nieces & nephews by making them each nap quilts, crib quilts, and quilts for their beds. I agree that handmade gifts are treasure beyond price.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its great that you were able to save your heirlooms. My father was the son of orphans and I think he always wished he knew more about his heritage since my mom's family was big on family history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great gift from Lex! Happiest holidays, my friend. May the new year be full of love and joy. : 0

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great video by Lex Valentine!! What a wonderful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you were able to save some of your "memories". My grandmother gave me a beautiful hand-pieced quilt for my high-school graduation and my mom made one for me about 10 years ago.
    They're both very special to me.

    aelnova@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes handmade gifts are extra special. My Grandmother made lots of afghans and gave them as gifts. When your loved ones are gone it is nice to have tangible reminders of them as well as their traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hawk18954@yahoo.com
      sorry I keep forgetting to add email

      Delete
  16. How wonderful! And that Lex Valentine is so talented. Glad you were able to save some of the special things that make up your tangible memories. Blessing to you.

    abraalpacas at gmail dot cam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lex did a bang-up job, and I wanna read 'em all (especially WHAT CHILD IS THIS?--love Tristan and Michael so much!)...

    vitajex(at)aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knit and do needlepoint, but I am terrible about finishing projects. I just start new ones. Except for scarves which are quick enough that I don't lose interest. Off to buy the feast now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you were able to save some memories, I still have my own baby quilts not to mention my boy's. Handmade gifts are the best! Love the vid, think I may email to my cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely video. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Margec01

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very elegant book trailer! When I went off to college, a friend of my grandmother's gave me two old patchwork quilts. She said, "my grandmother made these." So, if this woman was 80 in 1980, her grandmother was probably either slave or the child of a slave. A friend who majored in Fiber said my quilts belong in a museum! I said, "no, they belong on my bed because I love them so." I cherish them. Love and necessity=beauty! Thank you!

    brendurbanist at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. The art of needlework, sewing, crafts, etc skipped my generation too. My mother is an ace at everything and I can hem pants and that's about it. But I have a house full of her creations, some made just for me and they are some of the best gifts I've ever received.

    Issa
    cojazzchick AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful surprise that uplifted your spirits. Lex is very talented. I'm so glad that you were able to save those precious afghans and blankets.

    strive4bst(At) yahoo(Dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's all the family gathered together on Christmas that I look forward to the most. Not the presents but good food & better memories.

    Cherrieluv4 @ gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm late in replying today, had so many things to do! Only got half of what I need done but that's more than I expected! Thanks for the post!
    Juliana
    OceanAkers @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've just started crocheting...it's going well I think. Hopefully I'll have something to pass down just like your family.

    H.B.
    humhumbum@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I still have the afghans that my grandmother made and they are used with love each night during the winter. :)

    books2read69(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  28. The art of sewing is a dying one. My grandmother did everything by hand, my mother did some things to make herself more fashionable and individual, I myself just go to outlets or second hand shops to get something cheep, but good quality. Can't say I don't wish I knew how to sew, but I have more time to be creative in other ways.

    0401romance(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awww, what a lovely video gift.

    I used to quilt, still have loads of material left too. But it takes so much time! I also knit and crochet. I'm pretty handy with making things.

    penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete