Friday, August 16, 2013

Casual S*x Friday - Train Tracks

2968123841_8d33bfacc8_z


I give the kid a piece of bittersweet chocolate. He looks young enough to take it and  be grateful for it. He looks old enough that he’ll expect me to ask for something in return.


I won’t, because in his wary acceptance I see the fires of hell.


I’ve earned my bitter desert dreams. I’ve nurtured blood and death. I rend the air with screaming nightly, but this kid, he never speaks, not a word, not a sound. His hell is a cold, cold place. He’s isolated by it, frozen past feeling.


I think that’s enough to be going on with.


Ominous clouds curdle overhead. Darkness approaches. We have a choice: follow the rails to the east or the west. I don’t suppose it even matters, but I let him point the way. Our boots crunch over gravel. Sometimes, like the boy he is, he balances on the iron line, arms out, indomitable. Look at me.


I say, “Aren’t you something?”


He turns and gives me a hard stare that shuts my mouth again.


Tough boy. Broken man.


Yes. We’ll get along well enough.



Casual S*x Friday - Train Tracks

No comments:

Post a Comment