Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Teaser Tuesday - Part Two, Kate McMurray!

Welcome to Tuesday Teaser part TWO! Join me in welcoming my very good friend, Kate McMurray!


Kate McMurray has been writing stories since she could hold a pen. She picked up her first romance novel when she was thirteen and has loved the genre ever since. She started writing gay romance after reading a book and thinking there should be more love stories with gay characters. Her first published novel, In Hot Pursuit, came out in February 2010, and she’s been writing feverishly ever since. She likes stories that are brainy, funny, and of course sexy, with regular guy characters and urban sensibilities.


Kate signing autographs at GayRomLit 2011


When she’s not writing, Kate works a nonfiction editor. She also reads a lot, plays the violin, knits and crochets, and drools over expensive handbags. She’s maybe a tiny bit obsessed with baseball. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with a pesky cat.


She is currently serving as president of Rainbow Romance Writers, the LGBT romance chapter of Romance Writers of America. She’s also active in RWA NYC, the local New York City RWA chapter.


Kate’s website www.KateMcMurray.com


You can email her at kate (at) katemcmurray.com.


Here’s her teaser, are you ready?


“What the hell is that thing?” I asked.


He grinned ear to ear. “This is a Ducati. Best motorcycles in the world. Costs more than your yearly salary, normally. I bought this one for a song from a guy in Waukegan.”


“It’s in terrible shape.”


“Nah, that’s mostly on the outside.” He ran his hand over the front suspension. “What you’re looking at is a 1973 750 SuperSport. It looks like shit because the owner left it in his yard to rust for fifteen years. I think he also had some kind of accident, which is why the casings are all scratched. But I intend to restore it.”


“Does it even work?”


“Sure. The engine is sound. I drove it around the high school parking lot a little yesterday to be sure. The exterior is banged up, but inside, she purrs like a kitten.” I couldn’t think of a time I’d heard so much reverence in ***’s voice. He walked a lap around it, then stood next to me, still admiring his purchase. “You want to go for a ride?”


“Absolutely not.”


He laughed. “Okay. Well, so, I’ve got a connection to a parts dealer through my dad.” ***’s father was a mechanic, which I suspected was half the problem here. “I’ve already talked to him. He’s willing to sell me what I need at the wholesale price, and then I just need to paint it. I was thinking about red.”


I wrinkled up my nose. “Ugh, that’s such a cliché.”


He frowned. “What’s your favorite color?”


“I dunno. Green?”


“Green it is. But not, like, bright kelly green. Army green. Manly green.”


I continued to stare at the thing. All I could picture at first was *** perishing in a fiery crash. But then I started to imagine *** decked out like a biker in tight leather pants and a slick leather jacket, the motorcycle humming between his thighs….


I coughed and took a step backward. “You all right there?” he asked.


Jesus, I thought. *** in head-to-toe leather. I felt the flush rise up my neck to my face. Because that was an image to keep me warm on cold, lonely nights.


Then I realized *** was staring at me, and I snapped out of it.



Teaser Tuesday - Part Two, Kate McMurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment